DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SmartCo Foods, a new value-focused grocery store concept that blends the best features of a local supermarket, warehouse club store and farmer’s market in one, convenient location, today announced it will open its first store in Denver on Wednesday, June 23 at 6 a.m. With everyday low prices and additional savings on weekly specials, SmartCo Foods will offer unparalleled values without the need for a membership fee or club card. The 57,000-square-foot store is located at 1442 South Parker Road (at East Florida Avenue) and is the first of five SmartCo Foods stores scheduled to open in Colorado this summer. Although new to Colorado, SmartCo Foods is a division of Smart & Final, which has been serving the West with quality discount groceries and perishables for nearly 140 years.
“SmartCo Foods is eager to open our first store in Denver, offering shoppers a new, smarter, more economical and convenient way to shop for their home or business”
The new SmartCo Foods store will feature a selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, including both conventional and organic items, fresh-cut and high-quality meats, fresh baked goods, traditional grocery products, deli items, self-service bulk food bins, health and beauty products, vitamins, home entertaining products, greeting cards, foodservice items and more. The stores’ shelves will be filled with an assortment of more than 30,000 items in both national and local brands, with most products available in a range of sizes – from individual to bulk – to meet the various needs individuals, families and businesses alike.
“SmartCo Foods is eager to open our first store in Denver, offering shoppers a new, smarter, more economical and convenient way to shop for their home or business,” said Scott Drew, vice president and general manager of SmartCo Foods. “There is currently no concept like this in Colorado where shoppers can find everything they need under one roof, at the best prices in town and without a membership fee. We’re proud to offer Coloradans a variety of choices and look forward to supporting the local community for many years to come.”
The official grand opening celebration will begin at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, June 23, when Drew and other SmartCo Foods leaders will open the store to the public with a cake cutting and welcoming ceremony. The opening day festivities will include storewide samples, a giveaway of free SmartCo Foods canvas shopping bags filled with approximately $50 worth of free groceries and gift cards for the first 300 customers through the door, free reusable shopping bags while supplies last, kids activities and live entertainment, special grand opening pricing and more.
As a neighborhood grocer, SmartCo Foods is committed to giving back to the communities it serves and during the South Parker Road store’s grand opening week, the company will make $5,000 donations to both Denver Kids, Inc. and the Denver Scholarship Foundation. In an effort to support the Denver community on an ongoing basis, the store also will collect customer donations to support local education programs through a donate-at-the-register program. Through its community commitment, SmartCo Foods also is dedicated to providing its Colorado employees with a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as a great work environment.
The South Parker Road SmartCo Foods will be lead by store manager Jon Rumley, who brings 43 years of experience in the grocery industry, including 21 years with Albertsons, 10 years with Lucky’s and two years with Meijer Markets.
“As SmartCo Foods new South Parker Road store manager, I’m committed to delivering quality food and products at excellent values, as well as providing top-notch customer service,” said Rumley. The store will employ another 100 full- and part-time associates who are trained to have in-depth knowledge about SmartCo Foods’ products and offer customers a shopping experience that is not only convenient and value-focused, but also service-oriented.”
Other features of SmartCo Foods include:
* Produce department – will offer an abundant selection of high-quality fresh fruits and vegetables, including both conventional and organic items, all consistently offered at the best prices in town. In an effort to support local Colorado growers, SmartCo Foods will stock local produce as often as possible.
* Meat and deli department – staffed by trained meat cutters, the meat department will feature tender and delicious Cattleman’s Finest beef products as well as a broad selection of high-quality pork and poultry products, and fresh and frozen seafood. The store’s deli will offer prepared sandwiches, a variety of fresh salads and side dishes, as well as a large assortment of delicious deli meats and cheeses.
* Bakery – will feature breads, muffins, cakes and cookies baked fresh every day.
* Bulk bins – bins filled with a variety of wholesome grains, healthy snacks and more complete the bulk foods department, which allows customers to take as much or as little as they like and save on packaging materials.
* Health & Beauty – will offer a full selection of conventional health and beauty products as well as high-quality Sun Harvest brand vitamins, supplements and beauty care products made with natural ingredients.
* Foodservice & Business – will carry a large assortment of practical products, including: catering supplies; paper and party products, straws, cutlery, portion cups, hot cups, cold cups, clear cups, serving trays, and commercial-strength cleaning supplies.
* Warehouse Savings: will offer frequently rotated products offered at an exceptional value, including paper goods, beverages, packaged goods and more.
The South Parker Road SmartCo Foods will be open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily. The locations for the additional four SmartCo Foods stores opening this summer include:
* 5141 Chambers Road in Denver
* 3615 West Bowles Ave. in Littleton
* 16746 E. Smoky Hill Road in Centennial
* 1750 North Main St. in Longmont
SmartCo Foods plans to significantly expand its presence in Colorado over the next few years, opening an additional 20 to 25 stores.